RYE, N.Y. – The Rye varsity girls lacrosse team returned to championship stature last spring as the Garnets won the Section 1 Class C title.
It was Rye’s first championship in six years and one of the top sports stories in 2012 in Rye.
The Garnets, led by Emma Brinkman and Anne Van Wagenen, defeated Byram Hills, 12-11 in the Section 1 final. Rye followed this up with victories over Red Hook and Queensbury in the New York State Championships, advancing to the final four.
Also in Rye sports, senior Melissa Fulenwider concluded her brilliant six-year varsity swimming career by qualifying a fifth time for the New York State Championships.
Fulenwider, who will attend Princeton next fall and continue swimming, finished fifth in the state in the 100 breaststroke and eighth in the state in the 100 freestyle.
The Rye field hockey team continued its annual excellent play as the Garnets advanced to the Section 1 Class B field hockey championship final for a fourth consecutive year.
- 1 Redevelopment Of United Hospital Site Near Rye City Border Moves Forward
- 2 Rye Brook Landlord Negotiates Settlement With D'Agostino Supermarket
- 3 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 4 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 5 Three Different Ryes Can Be Confusing In Westchester