RYE, N.Y. – The Rye varsity girls lacrosse team returned to championship stature last spring as the Garnets won the Section 1 Class C title.
It was Rye’s first championship in six years and one of the top sports stories in 2012 in Rye.
The Garnets, led by Emma Brinkman and Anne Van Wagenen, defeated Byram Hills, 12-11 in the Section 1 final. Rye followed this up with victories over Red Hook and Queensbury in the New York State Championships, advancing to the final four.
Also in Rye sports, senior Melissa Fulenwider concluded her brilliant six-year varsity swimming career by qualifying a fifth time for the New York State Championships.
Fulenwider, who will attend Princeton next fall and continue swimming, finished fifth in the state in the 100 breaststroke and eighth in the state in the 100 freestyle.
The Rye field hockey team continued its annual excellent play as the Garnets advanced to the Section 1 Class B field hockey championship final for a fourth consecutive year.
- 1 Rye High School Grad, 20, Found Dead In College Dorm Room, Reports Say
- 2 Investigation Is Under Way Into Death Of Rye High Grad Marisa Curlen, 20
- 3 Red Flag Warning Issued For Westchester
- 4 Rye College Student Travis Misarti Is Invited To Screen Film At Cannes
- 5 Heavy Rain, Possible Thunderstorms Will Be Moving Into Rye