RYE, N.Y. – The Rye varsity girls lacrosse team returned to championship stature last spring as the Garnets won the Section 1 Class C title.
It was Rye’s first championship in six years and one of the top sports stories in 2012 in Rye.
The Garnets, led by Emma Brinkman and Anne Van Wagenen, defeated Byram Hills, 12-11 in the Section 1 final. Rye followed this up with victories over Red Hook and Queensbury in the New York State Championships, advancing to the final four.
Also in Rye sports, senior Melissa Fulenwider concluded her brilliant six-year varsity swimming career by qualifying a fifth time for the New York State Championships.
Fulenwider, who will attend Princeton next fall and continue swimming, finished fifth in the state in the 100 breaststroke and eighth in the state in the 100 freestyle.
The Rye field hockey team continued its annual excellent play as the Garnets advanced to the Section 1 Class B field hockey championship final for a fourth consecutive year.
- 1 Deer Defense Group Sues Westchester, Rye, Mamaroneck To Halt Hunting Plans
- 2 Astorino Asks Obama If He 'Wants To Say Hi' To Hillary Clinton During Visit
- 3 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 4 Memorial Day Parade Returns To Rye For Second Year
- 5 Bank Teller Pleads Guilty To Stealing $1.4M From Westchester Depositors