RYE, N.Y. -- The Rye YMCA and Jay Heritage Center will host a free half-day workshop on starting and sustaining school-based edible gardens on Friday, March 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Fourteen panelists from nine different schools and one business will share their experiences on starting a garden, using the produce, sustaining the garden and connecting classroom curriculum to hands-on outdoor learning.
Attendees will include: parents, school administrators, teachers, community volunteers, non-profit staff representing over 35 schools and organizations.
Coffee and registration will run from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
The Itinerary for the workshop will be as follows:
9:00 a.m. – 9:10 a..m. Welcome by Suzanne Clary
Welcome by Gregg Howells
- Student Speakers Jackie Asencio and Paula Torres, Hommocks Middle School
9:10 a.m. – 10:10 a.m. How To’s of Starting a Garden/How to Use the Produce Moderator: Lori Fontanes
- Betty Comerford, Home and Career Skills teacher, Hommocks Middle School, Mamaroneck
- John Borchert, Life Science teacher, Rye Middle School, Rye
- Allison Silverman, Family and Consumer Science teacher,Port Chester Middle School, Port Chester
10:10 a.m. – 10:25 a.m. Break
10:25 a.m. – 11:25 a.m. Sustaining your Garden Moderator: Perri McKinney, Murray Avenue School, Larchmont
- Kate Albero, Fourth Grade teacher, John F. Kennedy Magnet School, Port Chester
- Karla Purcell, Fourth Grade teacher, John F. Kennedy Magnet School, Port Chester
- Susan Ostrofsky, Principal, Mt. Kisco Elementary School, Mt. Kisco
- Alli Margoshes, Parent Garden Coordinator, Mamaroneck Avenue School, Mamaroneck
11:25 a.m. – 12:25 p.m. Creating the Garden-Curriculum Connection
Moderator: Marion Kieltyka, Convent of the Sacred Heart, Greenwich, CT
- Alexandra Forrester, Co-founder, Kaleidoscope Garden Design
- Toby Adams, Co-founder, Kaleidoscope Garden Design, Katonah
- Anne Mottola, Garden Consultant, Osborn Elementary School, Rye
- Ellyce Cavanaugh, ESL Specialist, Springhurst Elementary School, Dobbs Ferry
12:25 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. Raffle
12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Networking and visit vendors
The Rye YMCA is located at 21 Locust Avenue.
- 1 Latest Rye Brook Celeb Sighting: Michael Shannon Of 'Boardwalk Empire'
- 2 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 20-Year-Old Indicted In 'Cold Case' Murder Of Port Chester Plumber
- 5 Slow-Moving Storm Will Bring Heavy Rain To Rye