RYE, N.Y. – Rye City School District students in grades 3 through 8 scored high on state math and English Language Arts tests, according to results released Tuesday by the State Education Department. High percentages of students met or exceeded proficiency standards across the board.
In Rye, more than 90 percent in nearly every grade met or exceeded proficiency standards on both English Language Arts (ELA) and math tests. The lowest grades, 84 percent, were found in eighth graders taking the ELA test. In Westchester County, the percentages of all students meeting or exceeding standards varied from about 62 to 78 percent across the board.
Statewide, 64.8 percent met or exceeded the standard in math, which is up from last year's results of 63.3 percent. For ELA assessments statewide, 55.1 percent of 1,192,129 students in grades 3-8 across the state met or exceeded the proficiency standard compared to last year's statewide results of 52.8 percent.
Test scores are divided into four levels. Students who achieved scores in level three or four are said to be "college ready." The state education department has a breakdown of each scoring level on its website.
"There is some positive momentum in these numbers," said Board of Regents Chancellor Merryl H. Tisch, in a release. "But too many of our students, especially students of color, English Language Learners and special education students, are currently not on a course for college and career readiness."
According to the state, the bar was raised in 2010 on what it means to be proficient, resulting in fewer students meeting or exceeding the state standard that year. In 2012, progress toward the new ELA standard varied by grade, though progress toward the math standard increased slightly.
Here are the percentage results of Rye City School District students meeting proficiency standards on both assessment tests compared with the rest of the county:
- Westchester County: 70.5 percent for math and 66.7 percent for ELA
- Rye: 93.3 percent for math and 90.6 for ELA.
- Westchester County: 77.6 percent for math and 68.9 for ELA
- Rye: 95.3 percent for math and 91.9 for ELA.
- Westchester County: 74.1 for math and 68.6 for ELA.
- Rye: 96.5 percent for math and 93.7 for ELA.
- Westchester County: 73.1 percent for math and 66.4 for ELA.
- Rye: 93.7 percent in math and 89.9 percent in ELA.
- Westchester County: 71.7 percent for math and 62.3 percent for ELA
- Rye: 94.5 percent for math and 90.4 percent for ELA.
- Westchester County: 69.7 percent for math and 62.9 percent for ELA.
- Rye: 95 percent for math and 84 percent for ELA.