RYE, N.Y. – Rye High School was named the 15th best public high school in the Northeast and the 77th best in the United States by Newsweek in its 2012 ranking of the best 1,000 secondary schools in the country.
"We're very proud of our high school's talented faculty and administration, motivated students, supportive families and the community as a whole," said Laura Slack, president of the Rye Board of Education.
The six weighted criteria Newsweek that used to determine the list were graduation rate, college acceptance percentage, college-level exams taken per student, average SAT score, average AP score and college-level courses offered per student. The first three factors make up 75 percent of the overall ranking, and the remaining three make up 25 percent.
In 2011 Rye High School boasted a graduation rate of 99 percent and a college-bound percentage of 96 percent. Students at Rye High School produced an average SAT score of 1,782 and an average AP score of 3.7.
The only high school in Westchester higher than Rye High School was Bronxville High School, which came in at No. 40 nationwide.
Earlier this month Rye High School was ranked 72nd out of nearly 22,000 high schools in the country on U.S. News & World Report's list of Best High Schools across the nation, and 11th among public high schools in New York. Rye High School was also recognized for its academic excellence by The Washington Post.
Rye High School Principal Patricia Taylor said she is proud of the recognition.
"What makes me proud is that the latest rankings continue to demonstrate the strength of our educational programs," Taylor said.