HARRISON, N.Y. – A dozen students from Harrison High School recently received awards for their efforts at the annual Westchester Science and Engineering Fair (WESEF).
The science research students competed in the WESEF, which has been providing high school students in Westchester and Putnam counties with a place to “showcase their multi-year research,” since 2001, according to a statement from the school district.
The WESEF is sponsored by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Acorda Therapeutics and Entergy, according to the statement, which said that Harrison students competed against about 550 others who delivered formal presentations about the scientific accomplishments.
The following Harrison High School students were recognized during the competition:
- Ari Heilbrunn - College Admission Central Science Horizons Award
- Brian Segal - US Air Force Award
- Alex Kaplan - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Award
- Katie DeBois - NASA Earth System Science Award
- Maren Yamada - Environmental Perspiration Award
- Amit Ankawa - American Psychological Association Award
Best in Category Awards:
- Tasha Garayo - 4th Place - Medicine & Health
- Chanha Kim - 3rd Place - Medicine & Health
- Sarina Iraj - 4th Place - Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Laren Cole - 2nd Place - Behavioral Sciences
- Keon Azar - 2nd Place - Physics & Astronomy
Azar's 2nd place finish qualifies him to advance to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair competition.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.