RYE, N.Y. -- The Rye Daily Voice accepts signed letters to the editor. Send letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On behalf of those who organized our 2014 Rye Memorial Day parade -- reviving a cherished tradition -- I'd like to thank the people of Rye for showing up in such large numbers to view the marchers along Purchase Street and to join in the annual Memorial Day ceremony on the Village Green. It was our largest crowd in years!
A number of people and organizations did exceptional work to make this day happen. I'd like to especially thank:
- American Legion Post 128, Commander Tom Saunders and the Legionnaires.
- Rye Historical Society and its executive director, Sheri Jordan.
- Rye Chamber of Commerce and its president, Margaret Ricketts.
- Jay Heritage Center and Executive Director Suzanne Clary.
- Rye YMCA, Executive Director Gregg Howells and Scott Umbel.
- Rye’s city, county and state elected officials.
- Larchmont Historical Society, Ned Benton.
- Harrison Paint Supply, Roy Aletti.
- Rye Civility Initiative.
- Boy Scouts.
- Girl Scouts.
- Rye Girl Sports, Deirdre Burbank.
- Rye Police Department and Auxiliary.
- Rye Fire Department.
- Classic Cars, Arcadio Ocasio.
- Patriotic Brass Ensemble.
- Rye High School Drum Corps.
Those individuals who helped in 1,000 ways include: Nancy Collins, Roberta Billington, Suzanna Keith, Lisa Sandler, Doug Carey, Bob Cypher, Lester Millman, Lisa Dempsey and Debra Slater.
The tradition will continue next year on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, with a bigger, better parade.
Robin Phelps Latimer