RYE, N.Y. – Mary Elizabeth "Betty" Walsh Kuehn, a 50-year resident of Westchester Country Club in Rye, died Feb. 2 at her home. She was 94.
Born Feb. 14, 1918, at St. Catherine's Hospital in Brooklyn, N.Y., she was the daughter of Florence Isabel Gillen and John Henry Walsh. She graduated from Marymount High School and Finch Junior College.
Kuehn worked as a nurse's aide for the Red Cross during World War II. This was the start of a lifetime of charitable work, her family said. She supported Meals on Wheels, Trinity Mission, the Salvation Army, local soup kitchens and various Catholic charities.
She was associated with the Rock Wool Insulation Company in White Plains for more than 40 years prior to her retirement. She married Bill Kuehn in 1989. He predeceased her in December of 1991.
Kuehn enjoyed art, music, travel and fashion. She was a longtime member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City Ballet, New York Philharmonic Orchestra and Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Thursday at Church of the Resurrection in Rye. Visitation is from 9 a.m. until the time of services at Graham Funeral Home in Rye.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the ASPCA or the Children's Aid Society.
- 1 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 2 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 3 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police
- 4 Thieves Stole Personal Data From 104,000 Taxpayers, IRS Says
- 5 Schumer Calls For Harsher 'Swatting' Penalties In Visit To Westchester