HARRISON, N.Y. -- A water main break on Halstead Avenue in Harrison is causing service interruptions Wednesday in Harrison and parts of Rye and Mamaroneck.
The interruptions are expected to last most of the day, according to Westchester Joint Water Works. Residents may experience intermittent low pressure or discolored water into the early afternoon.
"We are still in the process of isolating exactly where the leak is," said David Birdsall, business director for Westchester Joint Water Works. He said that repair efforts should continue throughout the day and into the evening.
While the exact cause of Wednesday's main break hasn't been identified yet, Birdsall said, At this time of the year, with low temperatures and extreme temperature changes, we do see increased incidents of water main breaks."
If you experience discolored water, run cold water at the lowest level of your home for a few minutes until the water clears. If the condition does not clear, wait half an hour and then try again. The discolored water is safe to use and drink, Birdsall said, but do not run hot water or do laundry while the discoloration is present.
- 1 Deer Defense Group Sues Westchester, Rye, Mamaroneck To Halt Hunting Plans
- 2 Memorial Day Parade Returns To Rye For Second Year
- 3 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 4 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 5 Westchester Hosting Veterans Appreciation Day At Rye Playland