Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Rye Daily Voice serves Rye, NY

Menu

Rye Daily Voice serves Rye, NY

Nearby Towns

news

Space Heater Cause of Rye Brook Fire

RYE BROOK, N.Y. - The cause of Wednesday's fire on 19 Rock Ridge road in Rye Brook that destroyed the inside of elderly residents Gus and Judy Uhry's home has been classified as an electronic malfunction according to the report filed by the Arson Task Force Investigation summary report.

The three-alarm fire occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. and has since been deemed accidental in nature. According to Rye Brook police, 911 calls were dialed from both inside the Uhry residence and by a letter carrier passing by. It was later confirmed that the letter carrier, Jason Dang, helped the elderly couple escape from the blaze.

Judy Uhry stated in the report that when she went to plug in a space heater sparks flew from the outlet and ignited the drapes. Uhry's story was found to be consistent with the rest of the task force's investigation.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Rye Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.