RYE, N.Y. -- The inaugural Cardboard Boat Regatta was launched by the Rye Y on Friday, March 28.
More than 30 handmade boats of cardboard and duct tape, descended upon the pool at the Rye YMCA. Designs ranged from sharks, to Star Wars, to the Titanic, to a pirate ship, to a four-person catamaran, and a Minion from "Despicable Me." For skeptics, it was proven that cardboard and duct tape can float.
There were more than six heats of racing with boat drivers of all ages. The overall best, most creative design went to the “SS Minion” – designed and fully crafted by Sophia Rivers (age 11) and Caroline Geller (age 12) – both students at Rye Middle School. Winners in each heat received a one-of-a-kind 1st Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta collector’s t-shirt.
Heat 1 – Anderson Family
Heat 2 – Pozios Family
Heat 3 – Geller/Rivers Families
Heat 4 – Aubry Family
Heat 5 – Tavitian Family
Heat 6 – Sumner Family
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 3 Rye's Silver Among Westchester Trio Of Pro Sports Leaders
- 4 Rye's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 5 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures