RYE, N.Y. -- The inaugural Cardboard Boat Regatta was launched by the Rye Y on Friday, March 28.
More than 30 handmade boats of cardboard and duct tape, descended upon the pool at the Rye YMCA. Designs ranged from sharks, to Star Wars, to the Titanic, to a pirate ship, to a four-person catamaran, and a Minion from "Despicable Me." For skeptics, it was proven that cardboard and duct tape can float.
There were more than six heats of racing with boat drivers of all ages. The overall best, most creative design went to the “SS Minion” – designed and fully crafted by Sophia Rivers (age 11) and Caroline Geller (age 12) – both students at Rye Middle School. Winners in each heat received a one-of-a-kind 1st Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta collector’s t-shirt.
Heat 1 – Anderson Family
Heat 2 – Pozios Family
Heat 3 – Geller/Rivers Families
Heat 4 – Aubry Family
Heat 5 – Tavitian Family
Heat 6 – Sumner Family
- 1 Numerous Accidents Reported On Slippery Westchester Roadways
- 2 Rye Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 Bishop Cites Slain Sisters' Goodness At Funeral Mass In Harrison
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash