RYE BROOK, N.Y. – A coyote trapping program will begin Monday in Rye Brook, the village announced.
The village employed a licensed trapper to place traps on public property in Rich Manor Park , the detention basin area between Edgewood Drive and Bluebird Hollow, and the wooded area surrounding Rye Hills Park . The program will last seven weeks.
The village will continue to monitor all coyote sightings, and residents are encouraged to call the Rye Brook Police Department at 914-937-1020 to report sightings.
Here are tips to prevent coyote attacks, according to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation:
- If you encounter a coyote, be aggressive. Loud noises and forceful behavior will normally scare the animal away. Make sure that your voice and body language are as aggressive as possible. Taking a step or making a quick, sudden movement toward the coyote can make this approach more effective.
- Wave your arms and throw sticks or stones.
- Sound an air horn.
- Spray the coyote with a hose.
- Spray with pepper spray, although this is a last resort and is designed more to discourage or stop an attack.
- Use visual and auditory scare devices. Use a motion sensor to activate a spotlight and radio or some other noise to chase off unwanted animals.
- Do not feed coyotes.
- Do not provide food sources that may attract them, such as outdoor pet food or bird seed. They may also be attracted by the birds and rodents drawn to bird feeders.
- Make garbage inaccessible.
- Do not allow pets to run free. Coyotes can see cats or small dogs as prey. The average weight of a coyote is 35 pounds; they will usually yield territory to midsize or larger dogs. Conflicts are most frequent in March and April, when coyotes are establishing their dens.
- Small children should be supervised by an adult while outdoors and told to yell “coyote” repeatedly until an adult responds.
- In the event of an attack, fight back by kicking, punching and poking. Target sensitive areas such as the eyes, nose and throat. Teach your children the aggressive tactics.