RYE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Rye’s David Sanford "Sandy" Gottesman!
David Sanford "Sandy" Gottesman, a long time Rye resident, turns 88 on Saturday.
Gottesman, a businessman and billionaire, was born April 26, 1926, in New York City. He founded the investment advisory firm First Manhattan in 1964. He was an early investor in Berkshire Hathaway and today owns 19,000 shares, worth $3 billion in 2013. He joined the Berkshire Hathaway board of directors in 2003.
Gottesman has been a Berkshire Hathaway board member for nearly a decade and the bulk of his fortune lies in the company's shares. First Manhattan Co. is known for the same kind of long-term, value-oriented investment style employed by Buffett. He and his wife Ruth donated $25 million to Yeshiva University medical school in 2008. Also a generous donor to New York City's American Museum of Natural History, Gottesman is a vice chairman of its board of trustees.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 3 Rye's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 4 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures
- 5 Police Issue Alert For Missing Teens Who Could Be In Westchester