RYE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Rye’s David Sanford "Sandy" Gottesman!
David Sanford "Sandy" Gottesman, a long time Rye resident, turns 88 on Saturday.
Gottesman, a businessman and billionaire, was born April 26, 1926, in New York City. He founded the investment advisory firm First Manhattan in 1964. He was an early investor in Berkshire Hathaway and today owns 19,000 shares, worth $3 billion in 2013. He joined the Berkshire Hathaway board of directors in 2003.
Gottesman has been a Berkshire Hathaway board member for nearly a decade and the bulk of his fortune lies in the company's shares. First Manhattan Co. is known for the same kind of long-term, value-oriented investment style employed by Buffett. He and his wife Ruth donated $25 million to Yeshiva University medical school in 2008. Also a generous donor to New York City's American Museum of Natural History, Gottesman is a vice chairman of its board of trustees.
- 1 Latest Rye Brook Celeb Sighting: Michael Shannon Of 'Boardwalk Empire'
- 2 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Slow-Moving Storm Will Bring Heavy Rain To Rye
- 5 20-Year-Old Indicted In 'Cold Case' Murder Of Port Chester Plumber