RYE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Rye’s Barbara Pierce Bush!
Former first lady Barbara Pierce Bush, who was raised in Rye and attended Rye Country Day School, turns 89 on Sunday.
Bush, the wife of George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States,, was born June 8, 1925. She was first lady from 1989 to 1993. As wife of the vice president and then president, Barbara Bush has supported and worked to advance the cause of universal literacy. She founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy while first lady. Since leaving the White House, she has continued to advance this cause.
In 1995, Bush received the award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged, an award given annually by Jefferson Awards.
In 1997, she was the recipient of The Miss America Woman of Achievement Award for her work with literacy programs.
- 1 Sen. Latimer's Rye Home Goes Into Foreclosure
- 2 Rye High School Is Evacuated After Bomb Threat, Basketball Game Canceled
- 3 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Rye
- 5 Rye School Superintendent Asks City Manager, Police To Study Osborn Traffic