RYE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Rye’s Ajit Jain!
Ajit Jain, a Rye resident, turns 63 on Wednesday.
Jain, a Berkshire Hathway employee who heads several reinsurance businesses, was born July 23, 1951 in Orissa, India.
He graduated in 1972 from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur with a bachelor's degree in engineering. Jain worked for IBM in India from 1973 to 1976, then moved to the United States, where he earned an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1978.
Jain joined McKinsey & Co., but returned to India in the early 1980s before returning to the United States to work for McKinsey.
According to Robert P. Miles' book, The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets from the Berkshire Hathaway Managers, Jain said he would not have returned to America, but his wife wanted to move there.
In 1985 he left McKinsey to work on insurance operations for Buffett. At the time, he said he knew little about the insurance business. Today, Jain is the president of Berkshire Hathway Insurance. He is leading Berkshire's Indian insurance market venture.
- 1 Redevelopment Of United Hospital Site Near Rye City Border Moves Forward
- 2 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 3 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 4 Rye Manor Developer Promises 100 Affordable Housing Units For Seniors
- 5 Man ID'd In I-87 Fatal Motorcycle Crash