RYE, N.Y. -- Family fun, community spirit and creativity ruled March 14 at the Rye Y’s 2nd Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta.
Dozens of youth and families with cardboard and duct tape boats attempted to cross the length of the Rye Y’s Brookside Pool. A few boats glided almost effortlessly to the finish line, some capsized at the starting line and others needed a push from Rye Y lifeguards to reach the end of the pool. Whatever the result, the enthusiastic crowd of about 100 spectators cheered and encouraged the adventurous sailors.
The winners were:
- Grand Prize winner Michael Engerann, Best Design: The Beatles – Yellow Submarine, captained by Eduardo Fernandez & Bishop Ibrahim
6 and Under:
- Heat 1 – Violet, captained by Campbell & Morgan Kaderabek
- Heat 2 – Sharkey
8 and Under:
- Heat 3 – Wave Ryder, captained by Julie & Morgan Tiedeman
- Heat 4 – (TIE): The Dream Boat, captained by Suze & Wiebe Jolink and Megalodon, captained by Ben Fontecchio
- Heat 5 – Team Austrailia, captained by Oliver & Nelly Connor
10 and Under:
- Heat 6 – The Dutch Lightning, captained by Sjef Smits & Luuk Van Rooijen
14 and Under:
- Heat 9 – S.S. Directioner, captained by Talia Colombo & Callie Schultz Adult & Child Combo
- Heat 10 – M.P.J.
- Heat 11 – Grand Jacques, captained by Lucas