RYE, N.Y. – The Milton burying ground on Milton Road is Rye’s oldest cemetery?
Many of Rye’s earliest families are buried there, including the Purdys, Browns, Disbrows, Budds, Sniffens, Thealls and Van Sicklins.
The Halsteads are buried in 21 plots in the northwest corner of the cemetery, including Ezekial Halstead, former owner of the Knapp House.
The gravestones depict what life was like in the city during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Many graves show that residents lived into their 80s and 90s.
Others shows that four children passed away within a week of one another in 1849 from a scarlet fever epidemic.
There have been no new burials in the cemetery since the 1880s.
The cemetery is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The following information came from the Rye Historical Society's "Walk Rye History Trail."