SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Listening to a song, playing an instrument and learning about music isn't just an enjoyable way to pass the time for young children. Parents and young children are invited to witness the profound impact that music exerts in the lives of young children at an open house at Hoff-Barthelson Music School on Friday, June 9 from 10 a.m. to noon.
"Children love music. It is something that they can participate in at a young age; it fosters their complete development," said Laura Barnet, Early Childhood Music Specialist at Hoff-Barthelson.
During the open house, parents and prospective students, ranging in age from three months to five years, will participate in a music class, meet the School’s extraordinary faculty, and chat with current HBMS families. "Children and parents will sing, move, play instruments and experience joyful music making together," said Barnet.
The Early Childhood Program is taught using Dalcroze Eurhythmics, a method of teaching that pairs music and movement to stimulate the development of children’s minds and bodies. Through the classes, children develop focus, spatial awareness, motor skills, social skills and the ability to work with others, all while having fun.
"The classes are grouped by age and are dynamic and interactive," said Barnet.
Some classes offered through the School’s Early Childhood Program include:
- Learning in the Lap (3 -12 months) -- Designed for young ears, learning to listen.
- The Guppies (12 - 24 months) - Children, supported by parents or caregivers, move to music and develop curiosity as they learn new concepts of sound and song.
- Tunes for Twos (two-year-olds) -- Perfect for those who learn through movement. Classes feature songs and musical games that foster vocabulary development, large motor movements and socialization skills.
- Seasons of Song (three-year-olds) -- Explores musical concepts through song, movement, musical games and playing instruments.
- My Musical World (four-year-olds) -- Presents music from countries and cultures around the world.
The Music School is located at 25 School Lane in Scarsdale. Enrollment is now taking place for Fall 2017.
For more information about the open house and Early Childhood Classes, click here.